NEWS.com.au Rodeo drives Brisbane kids | Branson's dress-up games 
Piracy: It's back!  | Reggie makes dreams come true 


newstext.com.au

Search our online library – more than 150 papers archived.

Ad Ad: Ring tones
Search
The Web Australia
HOME > BREAKING NEWS > STORY
Get News by Email Print This Article Email This Article

Star couple back in court
From correspondents in London
July 17, 2003

LAWYERS for Catherine Zeta-Jones and her husband Michael Douglas returned to the High Court in London for the second round of the couple's damages claim against a celebrity magazine they say breached their commercial and personal rights by publishing paparazzi photos of their wedding.

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones
Justice John Lindsay, who ruled in April that Hello! magazine breached their commercial confidence by printing pictures of their $US2 million ($3.1 million) wedding at New York's Plaza Hotel in November 2000, must now decide the level of damages to award the couple.

The judge's ruling did not extend to a breach of their right to privacy, which he said was not protected under British law.

The new hearing, which is expected to last up to a week, will also determine the level of damages to be awarded to OK! magazine, which had a STG1 million ($2.5 million) deal for wedding exclusive pictures with the couple.

Alistair Wilson, the couple's lawyer, told the court today that the Douglases are entitled to compensation not only for the damage caused to their commercial rights but also for their personal distress.

"This is rather like a burglary when possessions are stolen and the value gone and at the same time you feel a senses of personal invasion of privacy," he said.

"This is a real distress quite separate from the value of possessions which have also disappeared."

Zeta-Jones and Douglas are seeking STG500,000 ($1.2 million) from Hello! while OK! publisher, Northern & Shell PLC, has asked for STG1.7 million ($4.2 million).

During the six-week hearing in April to determine liability, the couple testified that memories of their wedding day had been spoiled by the Hello! photos, one of which showed Douglas, 58, feeding his 33-year-old bride wedding cake.

Zeta-Jones said she was "devastated, shocked and appalled" and the case was not about the money.

"I get well compensated in my job and my husband has had a long career, financially successful, and it is a lot of money maybe to a lot of people in this room, but it is not that much for us," she told the court.

The Associated Press


Back
Get News by Email Print This Article Email This Article
Get News by Email Print This Article Email This Article

OTHER BREAKING NEWS HEADLINES

Korean border soldiers in firefight
Costello reaffirms PM plans
Coup troops ready for talks
Wall St weakens stocks
US alert on Philippines terror
Japan trade agreement 'falls short'
Police 'impersonator' faces court
Clark must get fair hearing: Labor
Brazil launches alcohol-run car
Russia to launch Venus probe
Sharon rebuffed on Arafat isolation
Pro-lifer slams 'horror' research
Bid to stop SA waste dump fails
Costello's vision for tolerant society
'Salsa Queen' Cruz dead
Car into market, eight dead
Kanimbla returns home today
Half of work Internet use 'personal'
Bus strike strands thousands
Resident hurt in unit fire
European stocks drop
$A claws upwards
Man slashed in machete attack
Police raid tent embassy
CIA chief at closed-door hearing
 NEWS AT A GLANCE
  COVER STORY
Marine arrested, family reunited
 BREAKING NEWS
Mother runs 217km in 28hrs
6 months, 167 train accidents
22 injured in hydrofoil accident
Indian elephants to retire at 65
  THE NATION
Cathy: I'm in love
'Contract' women moved interstate
Noose tightens around Clark
  THE WORLD
Blair stands by uranium claim
Car into market, eight dead
Judge throws book at bomber
  PEOPLE
'Salsa Queen' Cruz dead
Star couple back in court
Cathy tells: My love for Joel
 ELSEWHERE ON NEWS.COM.AU
  THE OTHER SIDE
147 hours on a rollercoaster
Reebok signs three-year-old
Masturbation 'may prevent cancer'
High-tech 'Batcanes' for the blind
 FOX SPORTS
Blues blown away
Kewell ban threat
Vidmar joins Cardiff
Lions sweat on Lynch
 MONEY
Wall St weakens stocks
DJs appoints Savage chairman
Ten a spectacular investment: Canwest
 ENTERTAINMENT
12 flicks for festival
Madonna's fashion focus
Band sends love to Delta
 TECHNOLOGY
Cambodia arrests net phone users
Oracle reshuffles executive ranks
Apple Q3 profit down 41 per cent
About NEWS.com.au | Advertise with us | Help and information | Privacy policy
Copyright 2003 News Limited. All times AEST (GMT+10).