Skip to main content
CNN International EditionWorld
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
enhanced by Google
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ON TV
 
 
 
 
 

TV host sex charges dropped

leslie
Leslie always maintained his innocence.

Story Tools

LONDON, England -- Charges of indecent assault against British TV presenter John Leslie have been dropped.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced the news during a hearing at London's Southwark Crown Court on Thursday.

The 38-year-old former host of ITV's This Morning show has always maintained his innocence. He had been accused of attacking the same woman twice between May 25 and May 28, 1997.

The charges were dropped after the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to offer any evidence against him.

Speaking outside the court, he said: "I am an innocent man. I have maintained my innocence throughout and today it has been justified."

Close to tears, he said: "In the last 10 months my family and I have been taken to hell and back, although we always believed that justice would prevail and the truth be out."

A prosecution lawyer told the court: "The prosecution gladly acknowledges that he will leave this court without a stain on his character from this investigation."

Leslie is a former boyfriend of actress Catherine Zeta Jones. He rose to fame as presenter on the BBC's flagship children's show, Blue Peter.


Story Tools
Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
Top Stories
Leaders plan Liberia action
Top Stories
Vatican fights gay marriage
 
 
 
 

CNN US
  On CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNN AvantGo Ad info Preferences
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
enhanced by Google
© 2003 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
An AOL Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.