Home page
   News
       Wales
       UK
       World
       Politics
       Farming
       Messageboard
   Business
   RugbyNation
   SoccerNation
   Sports
   Celebrity Wales
   Capital City
   TV & radio
   What's on
   WM
   Dining out
   Dating
   Holidays
   Local information
   Expats
   School Ties
   Learning
   Business search
   Classifieds
   icJobs
   icHomes
   icMotors
   icMobile
   Web mail
   Community zone
   E-cards
   Weather
   Contact us

Have your say on the News Messageboard

Zeta sends Leslie bottle of bubbly

Aug 4 2003

Catrin Pascoe, The Western Mail

 

CATHERINE ZETA JONES sent her former lover John Leslie a bottle of champagne after his acquittal on sex assault charges.

And it has emerged that his alleged sex victim is a Welsh actress.

The gift from Swansea- born Catherine and her husband Michael Douglas was delivered to the former This Morning host on Saturday two days after he was cleared last week of indecently assaulting a woman.

That woman, a 25-year-old from a small Welsh village, was in hiding with her mother yesterday and is said to be feeling suicidal, newspaper reports claim.

Leslie, a 38-year-old former Blue Peter presenter, was identified on a Channel Five chat show last October as TV presenter Ulrika Jonsson's alleged rapist, although she has never named him as her attacker.

Police investigations led to him being charged with two counts of indecently assaulting a woman who came forward. But those were dramatically dropped at London's Southwark Crown Court when police and the Crown Prosecution Service agreed there was no chance of a conviction and Leslie left an innocent man.

Yesterday a newspaper revealed it had collapsed because his alleged victim kept two past sex attacks secret. When detectives discovered this they realised Leslie's legal team would ensure the jury questioned why the woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, had only reported the TV presenter.

Miss X, as she was known in early proceedings, denied to police during early interviews that she had been a victim of any other sex attacks but later admitted her secret.

The CPS agreed she was not hiding the attacks to be malicious, reported the News of the World.

Quoting a police source, it said, "The entire case was based around this one witness and her evidence was vital."

The actress, believed to have had a small part in a British blockbuster, revealed she had been attacked by a photographer in 1997 when he was taking pictures at her flat. She also said she was the victim of an attempted rape in a west London wine bar after the date on which she claimed Leslie had attacked her.

Miss X alleged Leslie attacked her at his 3m home in East Sheen, West London, on May 26, 1997.

The 6ft-5ins star has said he considered suicide after he was accused of indecent assault and sacked from his 250,000 job presenting ITV's This Morning.

 
 

Top Top | Back Back | E-mail to a friend | Printable version

 


Copyright and Trade Mark Notice
owned by or licensed to Trinity Mirror Plc 2003
icWalesTM is a trade mark of Trinity Mirror Plc.
Please read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement before using this site.

Today, will you be...
soaking up the rays?
   0%
staying in the shade?
   50.00%
a little bit of both?
   50.00%

Usefull Links