LOS ANGELES - A judge on Wednesday refused to reduce bail for a woman accused of stalking actress Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Superior Court Judge David Mintz declined a defense request to release Dawnette Knight or lower her $1 million bail, citing her "threatening conduct" and the severity of her charges, officials said.
Mintz also set a trial date for Nov. 15, said Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.
Knight's lawyer, Richard Herman, called the judge's ruling "disappointing."
"I certainly believe now and have always believed that Dawnette Knight is not a threat to anyone in the past, now or in the future," Herman said.
Knight, 33, is charged with one count of stalking and 24 counts of making criminal threats for allegedly sending threatening and violent letters to actor Michael Douglas, Zeta-Jones' husband. One letter said: "We are going to slice her up like meat on a bone and feed her to the dogs."
Knight, who was arrested June 3 at her Beverly Hills home, allegedly apologized in another letter, claiming she had been in love with Douglas. Another judge ruled last month that Knight was mentally fit to stand trial.
A pretrial hearing was scheduled for Oct. 27, Robison said.