Advanced Search
Qatar
Gulf/Arab World
Iraq
Americas
Britain/Ireland
Europe/World
India
Pakistan/Afghanistan
SriLanka/Bangladesh
Philippines/East Asia
Opinion
Islam
Finance & Business
Sport
Features
Classifieds
Back Issues
Feedback
Contact Us
Site Map
About Us
Home:Britain/Ireland
Hello! wins appeal over stars photos
Published: Thursday, 19 May, 2005, 10:35 AM Doha Time

LONDON: Hello! magazine yesterday claimed victory in its epic court battle over the wedding pictures of Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas.

The Court of Appeal allowed its challenge to a High Court order that it should pay more than £1mn damages and another £1mn in legal costs to rival magazine OK!, which had an exclusive contract with the Hollywood couple to cover their New York wedding.

Hello!’s appeal against the ruling in favour of the Hollywood couple over privacy and commercial confidence was dismissed.

However, the appeal judges also threw out the couple’s claim for more damages and OK!’s cross appeal based on unlawful interference with business.

Chris Hutchings, solicitor for Hello!, said after the judgment was handed down that the ruling meant that his magazine’s liability to OK! was now nil.

He said: “This was a spat between two rival publishers and not between Hello! and the Douglases. The judgment is a resounding win for Hello!”

He added: “As a result of our win, Richard Desmond (owner of Express Newspapers and OK! owners Northern and Shell), will now have to write a cheque to Hello! for a very large amount of money indeed.”

But a statement issued by Northern and Shell said the appeal court had ‘fully vindicated’ the Douglases’ action against Hello! “This decision will impact all publishers with exclusive rights as it means rivals will be free to run spoilers with no redress in law.

“OK! will therefore be appealing this judgment to the House of Lords.”

Hello! had admitted at a Court of Appeal hearing last December that the snatched pictures were published as a ‘spoiler’ to lessen the impact of OK!’s exclusive £1mn contract with the Douglases to cover the wedding ceremony in November 2000.

James Price QC, representing Hello!, told three judges headed by the Master of the Rolls, Lord Phillips, that ‘spoilers’ were a well-known tactic in the newspaper and magazine industry and his clients had been victims in the past.

“This was something previously not considered unlawful. We are in the position that if you are going to compete in this industry you have to publish spoilers.

“But what happened to Hello! was that it was caught by a law which said ‘stop it’ retrospectively.”

The ruling against Hello! came after a six-week High Court hearing in 2003 at which the actress told how she felt ‘devastated, shocked and appalled’ when she realised unauthorised photographers had gatecrashed her wedding at the Plaza Hotel.

She said she and her husband had signed the deal with OK! after turning down a higher offer from Hello!

Justice Lindsay ruled that Hello! had breached the couple’s rights of confidence. He awarded the couple a total of just £14,600 but OK! got £1,033,156 for what the judge said was commercial damage to its expected exclusive coverage. – London Evening Standard